XG Manager - newbie general help with PSR-530

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
AAG
AAG's picture
XG Manager - newbie general help with PSR-530

Hi

I've got an old Yamaha PSR-530 connected to my PC via a usb-midi adapter and wanted to investigate the XG parameters using this software. (I've seen youtube videos of hardware sequencers(?) sending messages to change reverb/frequnecies etc - and though I could use this sofware to do the same. Eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwUWwhrJQbY),

I've been into options and set the midi/xg synth up.

I've been view/midi/keyboard - and clicking a key produces sound on the keyboard.

Now I'm at a loss as to how to hear/make any additional changes.

Clicking view Reverb - brings up a form and I can move the dials around - but can't hear any change.

I think I'm missing someting really obvious/but I've been messing with it for a while and can't figure it out.

Could someone provide an idiots step by step guide/pointers on how to use it?

(Also the View/parts and programs really confuses me)

Thanks for any guidance anyway can give!

AAG
AAG's picture

I can't find an edit my original post 

Interesting part of Youtube video around  5 mins in

These tutorials mention XGEdit (which seems to be long dead?)

Another possibility is do I need to set "local:off" and then set a midi-through to hear the changes? (Although should I still be able to hear the changes if I use the onsceen keyboard).

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

Clicking view Reverb - brings up a form and I can move the dials around - but can't hear any change.

I think I'm missing someting really obvious/but I've been messing with it for a while and can't figure it out.

This was due to a bug in the program.
The reason I had never spotted this is that the problem does not occur immediately after you've set up the program's connection to the XG device, only after a restart of the program.
I suppose this is what you get when nobody actually uses a program seriously sad

Anyway, I've fixed it now.
You can download the new version (1.5.1 Alpha 1) from the XG page at this site.

Note that when you use the mouse to change a parameter knob's value, a parameter update message only gets sent the moment you release the mouse, not continuously while you're turning the knob. (When you change a parameter via your computer keyboard (arrow/page keys etc.), a message is sent for every new value selected.)
Tip: you can see exactly when a message is being sent from the "MIDI output meters" window: a single green "LED" flashes briefly in the SysEx column.

Thanks for pointing this out!
   Mark.

AAG
AAG's picture

Hi

I've tried the XG Manager 1.5.1 Alpha 1 (and still can't get it to work).

I've set the Midi input/output and xg synth output to the USB controller.

The View - Midi keyboard

Now moving volume/bend/modulo do have an audiable effect.

The View Parts - Click Part 1, Level - Pan - I move it to L63 - the output meter - sysex flashes - but clicking the virtual keyboard has no effect - the sound isn't just on the left. (And the virtiual keyboard i also set to chanel 1).

Reading my keybaord manaul - there is mention of a XG "on" sysex command. I'm trying to get Tobias Erichsen loopMIDI and MidiOX wried - so I can capture what's been sent out.

I've also installed Coolsofy virtualmidi - and used that as the ouput. Using the Level volume and the virtal keyboard seem to produce the expected results so just wondering if your program send the XG on(F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7?)

As an aside/another question -> View Parts - General - Can change the voice.

But then using the virtal keybaord - the voice used appears to be the one selected on the keybaord. Is this correct?

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

just wondering if your program send the XG on(F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7?)

No, it doesn't. Or rather it didn't, as I'll explain:

Originally (about 18 years ago!) I wrote XG Manager for the DB-50XG daughterboard on a Roland MPU-AT MIDI interface card that a friend gave to me.
The DB-50XG has two modes: XG and TG-300B, and I did implement the messages for both modes.
However, I never got round to doing anything in TG-300B mode, and since XG mode is the DB-50XG's default, in the end I decided not to send the XG mode message on startup of XG Manager.
A second reason for not doing so was that the DB-50XG's manual states that it takes the DB-50XG half a second to update itself after receiving such a mode message. So to be on the safe side, XG Manager would have to wait a full second, which simply seemed a waste of time.

A few years later I acquired the SY-XG50 SoftSynth. As far as I know, this only has XG mode, so there still was no reason to include the XG mode message in XG Manager.

However, judging from the manual of the PSR-530, it looks like XG mode is not the default on the PSR-530.
So you may be right in suspecting that the lack of the XG mode message is what's caused (most of) your problems with XG Manager.
I've now released XG Manager 1.5.2 Alpha 1: by default it sends the XG mode message on startup. Hopefully this fixes things for you.

As an aside/another question -> View Parts - General - Can change the voice.

But then using the virtal keybaord - the voice used appears to be the one selected on the keybaord. Is this correct?

This virtual keyboard occurs in many of my applications, so it is highly generic. When you select a program from the drop-down list, the virtual keyboard only sends a MIDI Program Change message, so no Bank Select messages. The names in the drop-down list are the standard GM names, so these names are merely provided as guidance; it totally depends on the receiving device (not necessarily in XG mode!) what sound it produces.

By contrast, the drop-down list on the General tab of the Parts window contains XG programs. When you select one of these programs, XG Manager selects the appropriate XG bank and program. (Actually it does so via a single SysEx message rather than via Bank Select + Program Change messages, which would also be possible.)
See for instance pp. 101-103 of the PSR-530's Owner's Manual.
As you can see, XG often defines multiple programs for one program number, namely in multiple banks. So it's advisable to only select programs in XG Manager via the Parts window: this gives you the full XG set. (Disclaimer: I haven't checked whether the PSR-530's list is identical to the DB-50XG's list, which is the one represented in XG Manager.)

Hope this helps,
   Mark.