Unique midi CC buttons for every BCR2000 preset page

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
newhansen
newhansen's picture
Unique midi CC buttons for every BCR2000 preset page

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there exists a presets with only unique midi CC. Whenever I import the factory preset for instance, the 1st page of presets has $B0 7, as this also appears in the botton row of the 2nd preset page. Help much appreciated.

Royce
Royce's picture

Hi

The BCR2000 and  BCF2000 are programable and so you can put any CC with any range anywhere, buttons (switches) or encoders.

Each of the 32 presets (33 if you count the one that is selected) can be built, edited, saved etc.

Any preset you have can be edited to meet your needs.

What are you trying to do? Some details and perhaps we can help?

All the best

Royce

newhansen
newhansen's picture

Hi Royce,

Thanks for your fast reply! Love to see that this community is still going strong :)

I will give you some details what i am trying to do: I have a modulair synth setup in VCVrack. As you can imagine these are hunderds of knobs. I want to make use of the BCR2000 and the preset pages to control as many unique knobs as possible. The BCR is restored to the factory presets with BC manager. Now when I try to assign knobs of VCV to the BCR, the second preset page of the BCR has some knobs with the same midi CC of the first page. So when I turn the 2nd preset page knobs, some of the earlier assigned VCV knobs to the first preset page are turning. That is why I was looking for a BCR preset with only unique midi cc knobs on every preset.

I think i have to start programming it myself then, as i understand from your reaction this preset isn't available yet. Could you maybe link me to a page where it is explained how to assign unique cc information to the bcr2000? I can create a preset and share it with the comunity for those who like it. Thanks again.

Greets from Amsterdam

Royce
Royce's picture

So Midi CC message is CC+channel then Type then Value.

Total number of available CC is 16 (channel) x 128 (types 0 to 127) = 2048 unique CC

You can use 1 channel per 2 presets (32 presets) and that gives you types 0 to 63 for the odd numbered presets and 64 to 127 for the even  ones.

On the BCR2k, with Groups selected (the top row of encoders with switches can be 1of 4 groups of 8 using the 4 buttons to the right to select them),

You can have 56 encoders programed with CC leaving you room for a second Preset of encoders or you can have the buttons sending CC messages.

(If this is not enough you are able to use NRPN (Non-Registered Parameter Number). The BC can handle these messages, but I don't know if VCV can.)

Here is a start for you...

Chan1 high.BC2
Chan1 low.BC2
These two are just encoders

Chan1 low Enc high Btn.BC2
This is encoders like 'Chan1 high.BC2' but with buttons (incrementing from 0 to 10)

All with unique CC. - all BC2 files are text files so you can open them in a text editor and read how it is done.

BC2 files can be loaded by Mark's program and sent to your BC.

The zip file is on my website

https://bwalk.com.au/pub/BCR2K All CC.zip

All the  best

Royce

newhansen
newhansen's picture

Thanks Royce! That worked for sure. I have it almost working now. I have 8 presets.BC2-files with unique CC spread out over 8 midi channels. Only setback is  whenever I load Preset2.bc2 on the 2nd preset channel of the BCR, all other preset channels are erased again. Is there a way to import and store bc2 files to a specific channel without deleting the other presets?

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

I have 8 presets.BC2-files with unique CC spread out over 8 midi channels. Only setback is  whenever I load Preset2.bc2 on the 2nd preset channel of the BCR, all other preset channels are erased again. Is there a way to import and store bc2 files to a specific channel without deleting the other presets?

I'm not totally sure I understand what's going wrong here, in part because you're talking about "preset channels", which doesn't make sense: the term "channel" should be reserved for MIDI channels (1-16), and a "preset" is one of the 32 presets that the BCR has, each preset specifying the setup of all the BCR's buttons and encoders (so a single preset can contain definitions for multiple MIDI channels).

Anyway, if the problem is that opening a particular bc2 file in BC Manager (or uploading them to your BCR?) erases the other presets, you may want to read the tutorial in the BC Manager manual on "working with presets" in section 7, and perhaps also questions 8 (about "preset 0") and 24-27 (abouts files) in the FAQ section (section 34).

I suspect that the offending bc2 file contains one or more (empty) definitions for presets other than your intended one.
You can easily check this by opening this bc2 file in a text editor: each preset definition starts with a "$preset" line and ends with a "$end" line. If there is a "$store N" line immediately above the "$end" line, the preset is stored in memory preset N (1-32); if there is no "$store" line, it's the temporary preset ("preset 0"). (See question 27 in the FAQ section for further discussion.)

I gather that you've been saving different presets to different bc2 files, but you can save all 32 presets to a single bc2 or bcr file, which makes maintenance much easier.
Also note that BC Manager (perhaps confusingly) has two different operations by which you can save bc2/bcr files: File -> Save in the B-Controls window, and "Export selected preset(s)" in the Presets window. It's probably best to avoid "Export selected preset(s)": for normal maintenance "Save" and the related "Open" are the way to go.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

GluBloB
GluBloB's picture

Print this out.

http://ph.neutre.free.fr/Telechargements/BCR2000%20-%20Templates.pdf

In the middle is almost everything you should know about the BCF or BCR

:)

newhansen
newhansen's picture

Thanks all for your inspiring feedback. This totally made me create a txt file with 16 presets with unique CC information (sorry for the incorrect use of presets and channels, I am quite new to this.)

I managed to number the 16 presets with 110 unique CC types per preset. So basically the CC type is for every preset knob the same, but the channel differs per preset. Preset 1 = channel 1, preset 2 = channel 2 ect. 

I could have continued using the 17 unused cc types per preset to fill preset 17 and up, but this will do for me. I shared the textfile for those who want to use it for the same purpose I did. Thanks again all!

https://new-hansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BCR2K-16-Presets-Uniqu...