Trying to get in touch with the FCB1010 Manager developer

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
SAM CA
SAM CA's picture
Trying to get in touch with the FCB1010 Manager developer

Hello there,

I tried the yahoo group but no body commented on my post. I can't see to find a 'CONTACT US' option on this website either, so just trying to see if I could get in touch with the developer.

My first question:

Ed Dixon and Mark Van Den Berg.  Can anybody tell me who is the developer of this editor? I'm recording a walk-through video for this editor and would like to give proper credit....Also maybe ask him a few questions directly just to make sure I do justice to this software without giving wrong information.

This is the video that I recorded for the FCB1010 (Stock):

https://youtu.be/SYNND5nMWhc

The one I'd like to record for the editor would be a follow up video that basically focues on this particular editor.

Sam

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

In your video at 44:00 there is an editor with window caption "Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Edit Utility" and title (inside the window) "FCB1010 MIDI Editor".
I don't know which editor this is, let alone who wrote it, but it's not FCB1010 Manager.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

Royce
Royce's picture

Hi Sam

This is Ed Dixon's editor. I think your version 2.99 is the latest.

He used to write stuff on the Yahoo FBC1010 UNO group.

Mark's editor is a different one. Download it and have a look.

As I recall it supports the UNO firmware , didn't it Mark?

All the best

Royce

Mark van den Berg

Hi Royce,

Thanks for confirming this is Ed Dixon's editor.

No, my editor (FCB1010 Manager) doesn't support the Uno firmware, only Behringer's official 2.4 and 2.5.
I don't even have a Uno chip: after I bought my FCB1010 around 2007, I considered ordering a Uno chip for several years, but never got round it.

Seasonal greetings,
   Mark.

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

Royce and Marc...Thank you very much for clarifying this!

There's a lot of scattered info around that confuses most people such as myself. I saw multiple links with Ed Dixon's title going to Mark's editor, so I just assumed this was a joint venture. Then the manual mentioned there was no support for the UNO firmware...and yet I saw some UNO related features on the editor....so again I assumed the pdf manual was outdated..... .I will definitely add a correction in description area and also will mention this in the editor video for sure.

So just to confirm....Mark's editor is the one associated with the Mountain Utilities website. Ed Dixon has nothing to do with this website and it's a completely different editor. Right?

Mark van den Berg

Mark's editor is the one associated with the Mountain Utilities website. Ed Dixon has nothing to do with this website and it's a completely different editor. Right?

Correct!

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

Thanks! Now with this out of the way, here's my first question.

In the midi set up section of the manual (Mark's manual) there's a dedicated section about midi conflict, virtual midi connections...etc. I think the part about how to avoid midi feedback might be a little confusing for those who are new to midi. If you're doing something that doesn't require a two way communication. Say if you only want to send a back up file from the computer to the FCB. Instead of telling them what to do with the settings, would it be ok to just unplug the Midi Out jack (of the FCB) since it's not needed? This way less experienced users don't have to worry about midi feedback.  What do you think?

Mark van den Berg

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll consider them the next time I update the manual.

First a general remark though:
A manual doesn't have to be just a tutorial written for novices.
As I've discovered over the years with the ever-expanding manual for BC Manager (currently 141 pages!), it is fundamentally impossible to write a manual that provides each individual user with the "optimal path" to exactly the information (s)he needs.
For instance, each section explaining a specific feature of the application is liable to be seen as bloat by users not interested in that feature.
So to a certain degree one must rely on users being able to determine for themselves whether they need to read a particular section or not.

Concerning the MIDI setup section of the manual for FCB1010 Manager:

The "MIDI devices" dialog box offers a MIDI Thru facility, which can be useful in general, even for making connections that don't relate to the FCB1010.
The "MIDI devices" dialog box also contains the "Report enabled MIDI Yoke NT devices" checkbox, which can be useful to prevent problems if MIDI Yoke is installed on the computer. (MIDI Yoke and some of the other virtual MIDI devices are getting rather "old", but that's another discussion.)
Virtual MIDI devices can be practical for FCB1010 Manager's "Soft (virtual) FCB1010".
So all this info is appropriate in the manual because it relates to features of FCB1010 Manager. I'm sure I would get questions about these features if the info wasn't there.

Concerning your suggestion about MIDI feedback:
The discussion of MIDI feedback in the MIDI setup section primarily relates to virtual MIDI devices, not the FCB1010.
However, the FCB can create an unwanted loop easily if its global MERGE feature is enabled.
So the danger of MIDI feedback is very real in general, and it does no harm to make people aware of this, even those not directly interested in virtual MIDI devices.

Of course the manual could be improved in many ways, but I simply can't afford to spend much time on it.
As you can see on the Plans page, many of my applications don't even have a manual yet...
But if you or anybody else wants to create a tutorial for FCB1010 Manager, do go ahead. I might even provide some feedback - pun intended smiley.

Mark.

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

Thank you Mark...Actually your manual is pretty detailed already. I wouldn't change the pdf manual at all. I was just talking about the video that I'm putting together. To keep it short, i'd be using it in a specific way. You already answered part of my question though. If a user is not using midi yoke or any type of virtual midi cable/device.....say if they're using a physical midi interface such as M-Audio UNO...then they don't have to worry about the loop, unless the midi merge is activated. 

With this particular set up, (physical midi interface+FCB1010 ) if you unplug the physical  midi jack that is not needed , would that break or prevent the loop from happening, even if the midi merge is activated?

Mark van den Berg

The FCB1010 passes on anything received at its MIDI IN socket to its MIDI OUT/THRU socket if and only if the FCB's global MERGE setting is ON.
In this situation, unplugging either the jack from the MIDI IN socket or the jack from the MIDI OUT/THRU socket prevents any data from being passed on by the FCB. This also removes any danger of an infinite loop, which could otherwise occur if the MIDI interface at the other end also provides MIDI Thru: any MIDI message inserted at any point would then go round and round infinitely.

Note that in section 6 of the FCB1010 Manager manual under "MIDI -> Receive" and "MIDI -> Send" I recommend disconnecting any jack from the MIDI IN socket temporarily before powering on the FCB holding the DOWN pedal to enter Global Configuration mode: due to a bug in the FCB, entering Global Configuration goes wrong if any data arrives at MIDI IN during power-on.
Of course this recommendation has a different reason than loop prevention, and I don't know exactly which situation you're dealing with, but in general I'm totally OK with the idea of temporarily disconnecting a cable from the FCB: it may be clumsy, but it may prevent serious trouble, and is easy for inexperienced users.

Mark.

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

Hi Mark...

1) When I open the editor on my laptop, it only opens up with the FCB1010 Manager window. Then if I click on any of those icons, additional windows pop up...but on my desktop I get 4 windows pop up at the same time(FCB1010 Manager, Presets, Banks and Preset 0:1 window) . Both are windows 8.1 computers.

2) Does version 2 only support 2.4 and 2.5? 

3) Under Options menu....> FCB Options : Firmware version 2.5 is selected by default. Is that just an option for the user to select the exact firmware they have, or the software detects the firmware on its own? 

Mark van den Berg

2) Does version 2 only support 2.4 and 2.5?

FCB1010 Manager (any version so far) only supports the FCB1010's firmware versions 2.4 and 2.5.
I can't remember to what extent FCB1010 Manager would work with earlier firmware versions. (There aren't any later versions, are there? I haven't kept up, I'm afraid...)
And of course FCB1010 Manager doesn't support the Uno firmware (any version).

3) Under Options menu....> FCB Options : Firmware version 2.5 is selected by default. Is that just an option for the user to select the exact firmware they have, or the software detects the firmware on its own?

FCB1010 Manager can not detect the firmware. (If it could, then it would be pointless to allow/require the user to set it in the "FCB1010 options" dialog box.)

Quoting from the FCB1010 Manager manual, section 6:

Under "Options -> FCB1010":

Firmware version:
If an FCB1010’s ROM chip contains firmware version 2.5, the FCB1010 is capable of the ‘tap-tempo function’. (See section 2.6 of the official FCB1010 manual.)
If you select ‘2.5’ in this dialog box, FCB1010 Manager assumes the tap-tempo function is indeed possible, and behaves accordingly: the Presets window and the Preset window apply different color rules concerning CNT 1 and NOTE, and the Soft FCB1010 window’s MIDI output is different.

Under "View -> Selected preset":

If the FCB1010’s firmware (as set in the FCB1010 options dialog box) is version 2.5 and Direct Select (as set in the Global Configuration window) is disabled, the backgrounds of CNT 1 and NOTE are bright green when NOTE is enabled but CNT 1 is disabled. This indicates that the ‘tap-tempo function’ is active.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

4) According the manual when if I launch the editor for the first time, I'm suppose to get a notification that no configuration exist yet, but I'm not getting that on any of my computers. I've never used or installed the editor (of any version) before. Is this to be expected? Does it make a difference if the FCB is connected or not as far as this configuration notification goes?

SAM CA
SAM CA's picture

I think I know what happened with the configuration notification, so that question is ok now. However I still don't know why I get multiple windows when I launch the editor for the FIRST TIME on certain computers. Just installed it on my MAC and sure enough I got the configuration notification followed by 4 different windows. Which one is suppose to be the default setting?

Mark van den Berg

When you run FCB1010 Manager for the very first time on any operating system, you should first arrive in this dialog box:

Apparently this program has not been run before,
because it cannot find its main setup file.

The program will use its default setup.

Then you should arrive in the "Check for update" dialog box.

Finally four windows should open: the main one, Presets, Banks, and Preset 0:1.

FCB1010 Manager always restores the layout that existed when you last quit it.
For further info, see the manual, section 6, particularly the "Restart with default setup" and "Setup" items under "FCB1010 Manager (OS X)/File (Windows)".

On macOS, FCB1010 Manager stores its setup files in a folder called "/users/UserName/.config/mountain_utilities/fcbman".
(In Finder, execute "Go to Folder" from the "Go" menu, and enter "/users/UserName/.config/mountain_utilities/fcbman" (without the double quotes). Beware: the ".config" folder is hidden, so unless you've configured Finder to show hidden folders, Finder won't show ".config" in your home folder.)
On Windows, FCB1010 Manager stores its setup files under %LOCALAPPDATA% or (on older OSes which don't have that) under %APPDATA%. More specifically, on Windows VIsta and later these files are typically stored in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Mountain Utilities\FCB1010 Manager".
If you want to "re-experience" the first run, you can quit FCB1010 Manager, delete these setup files and restart FCB1010 Manager. (If you run "File -> Restart with default setup", only the ".stp" file gets deleted, so not the ".ini" file.)

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

Topic locked