Preset keys BCF2000 no midi output

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vince
Vince's picture
Preset keys BCF2000 no midi output

Hi 

I am new to this forum and just made my firtst change in my Beringer with BC maneger, very nice i must say.

I like to get my preset keys the same way working as my lighting desk that i control true midi on my laptop. (So when i go to preset (page 2) i like to switch my lighting bord also to next page)

I did give the preset Note 63 and 64 but i dont get a midi signal from these keys.

What can i do wrong?

Also if get it to work will i lose my page preset funtion on the beringer (like the store learn keys) ??

Regards Vincent

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

For "normal" buttons you can define "Standard output" and/or "Custom output" MIDI messages: these will be sent when you press these buttons.

However, by default the Store/Learn/Edit/Exit and Preset < and > buttons don't send any MIDI messages when you press them: they perform actions on the BCF2000 itself. (This is indicated in the Layout window: buttons for which Standard and Custom output definitions don't work have a pink background.)

If you want these special buttons to function as normal buttons, you have to open BC Manager's preset dialog box (for instance via the E button in the Presets window), select the Settings tab, and set "Function of function keys" to "Buttons 53/54/55/56" and/or "Function of preset keys" to "Buttons 63/64".
Note that setting the preset buttons to "Buttons 63/64" automatically sets the function keys to "Buttons 53/54/55/56": this is simply how the BCF2000 works.

However, if you change special buttons to normal buttons, they lose their special functions.
So for instance if you set the preset buttons to "Buttons 63/64", you can no longer use them to switch to the next/previous preset.

So it may be better to leave the preset buttons at "Preset selection": there is an alternative way to make them output MIDI messages:
If you set "Request (i.e. LEARN output)" on the Settings tab to true, you can define any MIDI messages you like on the LEARN tab, and the BCF2000 will output these messages whenever you switch to this preset. So for instance you can define a particular Program Change message here; this may then enable the receiving MIDI device to switch to a particular corresponding setup ("preset", "patch" or whatever it's called on the device).

Hope this helps,
Mark.

Vince
Vince's picture

Dag Marc

Dank voor je reactie ik neem aan dat ik ook in het Nederlands kan antwoorden?

Ik heb gedaan wat je beschrijft. Zoals het laatste een learn output aan gemaakt.

Helaas zie ik nog geen midi output verschijnen als ik op de prese page  druk.

Bijgaand een foto van de setting, wellicht doe ik iets niets juist, alvast dank voor het mee denken.

Groet Vincentsad

Helaas lukt het niet om een foto bij te sluiten dus probeer ik het te beschrijven

Als ik op de E druk van het Preset venster vink ik bij settings aleen aan Request en functions Store/enz. en Preset keys.

Bij learn output heb ik

Preset terug < (Hex $01)

Preset verder > (Hex $02)

In het Preset zie ik nu nu bij Learn output; Error $01/02

Mark van den Berg

Hi Vincent,

It's best to stick to English in this forum (even if you feel insecure about the quality of your English):
There are people who have subscribed to these forums and thus automatically receive each and every post, so it wouldn't be nice to spam them with languages they don't understand.

Concerning your problem: I was going to point out that "Error $01/02" probably occurred because you didn't define a proper MIDI Program Change message (starting with $Cc (where c is the MIDI channel minus 1)), but considering your next post you've clearly already figured this out yourself.

Vince
Vince's picture

Hallo Marc,

Inmiddels al weer wat verder de syntax was niet juist, inmiddels wel en het werkt ook.

Het volgende waar ik tegen aan loop hoe krijg 2 verschilende syntax in de learn output zo dat de button 63 en 64  2 verschillende boodschappen af kunnen geven.

Ze zijn nu allebij het zelfde.

Ik heb al wel de syntax in de preset :Buttons ( bij 63 en 64) gezet bij de custom output gezet maar dat werkt niet.

We komen er wel.

Ik hoor graag je reactie, met groet Vincent

Mark van den Berg

For "LEARN output", you can only define a sequence of fixed MIDI bytes. (The special identifiers (like "val" and "ifp") usable for buttons/encoders/faders are not allowed for LEARN output.)
Whenever a particular preset is selected, the BCF outputs this preset's fixed LEARN output - that's all.
So for instance if you define the LEARN output of the BCF's preset 3 as $C0 $08 (= "select MIDI Program 8 on the receiving MIDI device"), the BCF will output these exact two bytes whenever you select preset 3: it doesn't matter whether you're on preset 2 and press >, or on preset 4 and press <.
So in this situation the preset buttons themselves can't be associated with specific MIDI output (any Standard or Custom output definition for buttons 63 and 64 is ignored), and the preset buttons only have indirect influence on what the BCF outputs: a preset button only causes the BCF to change to the next or previous preset, and that preset then outputs its LEARN output (whatever that is).

The only way to have the preset buttons themselves send specific output is by redefining them as "normal" buttons (63 and 64): then you can make each of these buttons send all kinds of complicated things (via their Standard and Custom output tabs). But these buttons then also stop functioning as preset buttons: they are no longer able to make the BCF select the next or previous preset.

Hope this helps,
Mark.

Vince
Vince's picture

Hi Marc,

Oke i understand what you say, my chooise will be to use the button 63 and 64 as regular buttons, i know i loose the function of loosing the setting in the preset inside the Bcf.

I explain what i like to create: When i swith the preset buton (on BCF) i like to change the preset on the BCF2000 from lets say preset 1 > 2 b but i also like to change submaster page on my lighting desk from Page 1 > 2.

So what i need is 2 different midi signals to my lighting desk, one for the submaster page and one the Bcf to change the preset.

I am not realy that smart with midi yet,,, but i spend already 3 days but can not ficure this out.

Is this posible at all and what wil be the easy way for is this,,,, or is this to hard and must forget about this?

Regards Vincent

Mark van den Berg

A "normal" button on the BCF can send any MIDI message(s) you like, so that's not the problem.
It depends on your lighting desk whether it can respond to (for instance) a Program Change message.
And of course a "normal" button cannot directly make the BCF switch to a different preset.

Mark.