error with receive data from FCB1010

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
dcal
dcal's picture
error with receive data from FCB1010

Bonjour

J'ai systématiquement ce message d'erreur qui ne me permet pas d'utiliser le soft. Je suis sur mac osx high sierra 10.13.6.

' Error midi sysex input message too long for buffer '

merci pour votre aide

Cal

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

The FCB1010's setup message is a single SysEx (MIDI System Exclusive) message consisting of 2352 bytes, which is extremely long, and can therefore easily give rise to problems.

The specification of the MIDI input driver of macOS says that this MIDI input driver "normally" offers any long SysEx message to an application (such as FCB1010 Manager) as a sequence of buffers of maximally 256 bytes each.
Accordingly, FCB1010 Manager expects to receive the FCB1010's setup message as a sequence of 10 buffers (9 x 256 + 1 x 48 = 2352).
However, when FCB1010 Manager receives a buffer that is longer than 256 bytes, it produces the error you've mentioned: "MIDI SysEx input message too long for buffer".
So this is what is happening to you, but the question is why.
The cause might be interference from some other MIDI device. Perhaps a MIDI Thru loop involving your MIDI interface?
Have you read the section "A few pitfalls" in the FCB1010 Manager manual concerning "MIDI -> Receive" (page 14)?

I'm hoping to release a new version of FCB1010 Manager in a few days.
In this version the error message mentions the actual length of the buffer that is too long, so that might tell us something.
I've also changed some other things in the MIDI input routine, so there's a (small) chance that this will fix your problem.
If not, we'll think of something else.

Mark.

laagveen
laagveen's picture

First thanks for the software!

I have the same error message with the latest version of this utility. Dont know if this is usefull information but I can see the message in midi monitor. There it has the expected length of 2352. I am using the midi in on my focusrite soundcard on macos 10.12.6. I am happy to provide more information.

Kind regards,

A

Mark van den Berg

Thanks for the report!

I've created a test version of FCB1010 Manager that should fix the problem:
FCB1010 Manager 2.1.1 Alpha 1

This version should be able to handle any SysEx input buffer larger than 256 bytes (up to 65536 bytes, in fact).
However, my own MIDI interface only offers buffers of maximally 256 bytes, so I haven't been able to verify what actually happens to larger buffers.

This test version writes debugging info to the "MIDI error log" window.
Most importantly, "Offered length" specifies the size of a MIDI input buffer offered to the application.
Can you report back which offered length(s) you get when you perform "Receive data from the FBC1010"?
Your MIDI interface might offer the whole message (2352 bytes) in a single buffer, or it might use a sequence of buffers with a big standard size, like 512 + 512 + 512 +512 + 304.
And can you verify that the complete message ends up as a single item of 2352 bytes in the "MIDI input messages" window? (Don't forget to press "Record" in that window before transmission!)

Thanks in advance,
   Mark.

laagveen
laagveen's picture

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. It seems to work! My config is visible in the presets table. 

The offered lenghts seem strange to me at 257. But reading seems to work. What i noticed was that the midi error log only showed up for me when I started from default settings. After I reconfigured the fcb 1010 options the midi error log is no longer visible but now the confirmation dialog is shown and the settings are visible in the presets window.

The message is indeed visible as a single message in the  MIDI input messages with length 2352

Here is the log

-----

Put#=8 Get#=5

BytesRecorded: 1

-----

Put#=8 Get#=6

BytesRecorded: 256

-----

Put#=8 Get#=7

-----

Offered length=257

Put#=10 Get#=8

-----

Put#=10 Get#=9

-----

Offered length=257

Put#=12 Get#=10

-----

Put#=12 Get#=11

-----

Offered length=257

Put#=14 Get#=12

-----

Put#=14 Get#=13

-----

Offered length=257

Put#=16 Get#=14

-----

Put#=16 Get#=15

-----

Offered length=257

Put#=18 Get#=16

-----

Put#=18 Get#=17

-----

Offered length=39

Put#=19 Get#=18

BytesRecorded: 39

EoX

-----

Mark van den Berg

Thanks very much for reporting back!

Due to an oversight of mine, your output starts with "Get#5": the log messages of the preceding buffers have already been removed from the error log window, because once 50 lines have been written, the window removes the oldest line when a new line arrives; I should have increased that limit.

But it seems clear that FCB1010 Manager received the FCB1010 setup message of 2352 bytes as 9 blocks of 257 bytes plus 1 block of 39.
This is really weird, because 257 is 1 more than the standard 256 used by Core MIDI (the MIDI system of macOS).
So these "offered lengths" of 257 bytes may be the result of some unintended, buggy behavior by one of the entities involved: your MIDI interface? the Core MIDI of your version of macOS? Neither seems likely, but I can't see how FCB1010 Manager could be responsible: these offered lengths of 257 bytes are simply what FCB1010 Manager receives from Core MIDI.

Anyway, I'm glad that this test version of FCB1010 Manager processes the FCB1010's setup message correctly.
However, this test version is still 32-bit, so it's incompatible with the just-released macOS 10.15 (Catalina), which only runs 64-bit applications.
So I'm in two minds whether it will be worthwhile to publish a 32-bit "release" version of this (with the debug info removed).
The first 64-bit beta version of FCB1010 Manager is almost ready, so it's probably simpler to jump to that one immediately.
So I'll probably publish the first 64-bit beta later this week, unless it hits a last-minute snag, in which case I'll publish a 32-bit "release" version anyway.

Mark.

dcal
dcal's picture

Hello,

Merci beaucoup pour la nouvelle version postée, testée et pour le moment tout se passe bien elle semble approuvée chez moi.

Je vais tester un peu toutes les fonctions et dirait quoi après. désolé je ne parle pas correctement anglais !;(

Mark van den Berg

As promised, a 64-bit version of FCB1010 Manager for macOS (2.2.0 Beta 1) is now available from the FCB1010 download page.
It contains the same fix as 2.1.1 Alpha 1, but doesn't generate debug messages any more.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf's picture

HI Mark, Yes i have this problem too on my win 10 x64

can't comunicate with fcb 1010 see pictureMessage

please help me

Greetz Peter

Mark van den Berg

Hi Peter,

Your screenshot says "Error: Cannot open MIDI input device USB A" and "Error: Cannot open MIDI output device MIDIOUT2 (USB A)".
These errors are unrelated to the current forum topic, which concerns a macOS-only problem concerning unexpectedly large MIDI buffer sizes. (So strictly speaking you should have created a new topic, but anyway...)

Your errors occurred when FCB1010 Manager asked Windows' MIDI system to open a MIDI input device called "USB A" and a MIDI output device called "MIDIOUT2 (USB A)":
As the error messages indicate, Windows reported back to FCB1010 Manager that these devices could not be opened.
The cause may have been that you disconnected the USB cable of the MIDI interface while FCB1010 Manager was running.
When a USB cable gets disconnected, its MIDI devices as known to FCB1010 Manager become invalid, and reconnecting the USB cable doesn't immediately help: you must then also restart FCB1010 Manager, so that it can work with the "new" devices.

For further discussion, see the FCB1010 Manager manual: section 5 about the "MIDI devices" dialog box, and section 6 under "Options -> FCB1010" about the "FCB1010 options" dialog box.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf's picture

in the software  sayes firmware 2.50  but i have firmware 2.84  does the program funtion still properly?

Mark van den Berg

Are you sure your FCB1010 has firmware version 2.84?
I'm unaware of the existence of any firmware version after 2.5 (a.k.a. "2.50.1E"), but I must admit I haven't kept up with what Behringer have been doing to the FCB1010 in recent years...
If any version after 2.5 exists, I have no idea to what extent it is different: you'd just have to try and see if FCB1010 Manager interprets your FCB1010's setup message correctly.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf's picture

thnx Mark for your quick respondse,

ill try it again in section 6

Greetz Peter

Blackwolf
Blackwolf's picture

take a look at these screenshot

screenshot

Greetz Peter

Mark van den Berg

This screenshot of the Output tab of the "MIDI devices" dialog box shows the properties of MIDI output device "USB A", which, as its name indicates, is a USB-based MIDI interface.
The version number shown, "2.84", belongs to this device (or its driver), not to the FBC1010.

To discover the firmware version of your FCB1010, you would have to open it and look at the label on its EEPROM chip.
But there is an easier way: as described in section 6 of the FCB1010 Manager manual, the difference between FCB1010 firmware versions 2.4 and 2.5 is that only 2.5 has the "tap-tempo function".
So if you can make the tap-tempo function work (as described in Behringer's official FCB1010 manual), you have 2.5, otherwise 2.4 (or an older version, though this seems unlikely nowadays).

In any case the problem of your USB devices that cannot be opened has absolutely nothing to do with your FCB1010.
It's purely a problem concerning the configuration of the MIDI-to-USB device(s) on your computer.

This screenshot lists two USB-based MIDI output devices:
USB A
MIDIOUT2 (USB A)

The MIDI error log of your previous screenshot stated that input "USB A" and output "MIDIOUT2 (USB A)" couldn't be opened.
So at least "USB A" has both an input and an output port, and probably "MIDIOUT2 (USB A)" has a corresponding input too:
USB A
MIDIIN2 (USB A) (?)

A crucial question is: do "USB A" (input+output) and "MIDIIN2/MIDIOUT2 (USB A)" relate to two different hardware devices or just one?
If you have only one MIDI-to-USB hardware device, it seems that by mistake two drivers for this device have been installed in Windows, one providing input and output devices called "USB A", the other providing devices called "MIDIIN2/MIDIOUT2 (USB A)". And then it is understandable why Windows (and FCB1010 Manager) can't open both drivers at the same time, hence the error messages: you can't mix "USB A" (input+output) with "MIDIIN2/MIDIOUT2 (USB A)".

So you should check whether FCB1010 Manager still produces the "cannot open" error messages if you enable (=put a checkmark next to) only one set of corresponding input/output devices and disable the other set.
So enable input "USB A" and output "USB A", and disable "MIDIIN2 (USB A)" and "MIDIOUT2 (USB A)".
Or disable input "USB A" and output "USB A", and enable "MIDIIN2 (USB A)" and "MIDIOUT2 (USB A)".
If one of these setups does not produce the "cannot open" error messages in FCB1010 Manager, you can then select the enabled devices for "MIDI input port" and "MIDI output port" in the "FCB1010 options" dialog box and try to make FCB1010 Manager communicate with your FCB1010.
Ultimately you might want to uninstall the "wrong" device driver - and hope that Windows doesn't automatically reinstall it afterwards...

Hope this helps,
   Mark.