bcr2000 usb osx

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
davidd
davidd's picture
bcr2000 usb osx

Hi to all!

I just reanimated my old BCF2000. It does not work with usb midi on Macos mojave, does it? I think it worked once with an earlier Macos.

Is there any way to make that work?

Or do I have to use the Midi ports and a Midi Interface?

thanks

klaus

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

Hi Klaus,

As far as I know, the BCF2000's USB controller behaves in a very standard, generic way.
So I'd think that it should work with Mojave as well.
Have you selected a 'U' Operating Mode on the BCF2000? Try U-1 first.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.

davidd
davidd's picture

Thanks Mark!

I tried U1, and it works with Mojave. I always used MCU (cubase) mode, and this only works with midi ports, correct?

Is there any way to use MCU protocol in usb mode?

thanks

klaus

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

The BCF's operating mode (U-1/2/3/4, S-1/2/3/4) only determines the "wiring" of the BCF.
Most importantly, in any U mode the BCF itself (i.e. as a controller) communicates with the connected computer via a USB-based MIDI input device and a USB-based MIDI output device, but in any S mode the BCF itself communicates via its MIDI IN port and its MIDI OUT A port (in S-1 and S-3 also via MIDI OUT B/THRU).

However, the operating mode of the BCF does not affect the BCF's communication protocol (or "personality", as BC Manager calls it).
The BCF's communication protocol only depends on whether the BCF is in standard B-Control mode or in any of the four emulation modes. (See e.g. section 22 of BC MIDI Implementation.pdf on how to select these modes.)
So the four emulation modes work in any U or S operating mode.