Bcr2000 with Roland JD XI

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basti
Basti's picture
Bcr2000 with Roland JD XI

Hey there,

sorry total newbie here but is it possible to control the jd xi with the bcr?

i got two jdxi editors for mac and iPad which work perfectly and I can read all the aSex data from those but I on the know how to copy it to the bcr.

Or does anyone already made a template for the jdxi?

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

From the JD-Xi's MIDI Implementation document (available from the Roland website) it looks like the JD-Xi is fully controllable by a BCR2000 (or BCF2000 for that matter).
As usual for Roland devices, you can control the JD-Xi via two types of MIDI messages: (1) "simple" MIDI Control Change messages; (2) SysEx (System Exclusive) messages.
You probably want to try the Control Change messages first, but these only give you limited control over the JD-Xi.
So after a while you'll want to start using SysEx messages; these allow you to control every parameter on the JD-Xi.
BC Manager has a special facility for creating SysEx parameter definitions for BCR buttons/encoders; this can greatly simplify the process of creating BCR presets. See section 18 (in particular the Roland/BOSS subsection) of the BC Manager manual for further info.
I don't know if anybody has already written a BCR template for the JD-Xi; at least nobody has uploaded any to the B-Control user files section of this website yet, but feel free to do so yourself if you get that far smiley

Hope this helps,
Mark.

Basti
Basti's picture

Thanks for your quick Reply!

I got an Ipad controller called Patch Base for the JD-XI which is awesome and i hoped that could just "Copy" those parameters somehow with the BC Manager as i can input Monitor the sysex Data ("learn" on the BCR directly doesnt work, error code "Bad"), but i guess i have to dig deeper into that

There seems also to be a possibility to control it via NRPN messages but those are kind of hidden.

If i´ll succeed I will upload it here for sure! If anybody else has a BCR or Zero SL MK2 JD-XI Template for me I would be more than Thankfull as the JD-XI is an unbelivable deep Synth!