BCF2000 Shift function button

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
dsuntjens
dsuntjens's picture
BCF2000 Shift function button

Is it possible to create a so called "Shift function" button, so that the controller will sends another note or cc message (not value) when the shift button is pressed (before).
Some emulation modes - like Mackie control and Logic control - have such shift function, but we don't know how that is implemented/handled (within the BCF controller or in the application).

At the moment we don't care if this shift function is enabled with a toggle/latch -on/off- button (preferably with the corresponding button led lit) or it is only active when an button is held down.

Usage/Background info:

The BCF controller will be used directly connected to a lighting console by USB, the lighting console has no other options for inputting midi control data. Also the lighting console it self does not have any bult-in shift function.

We have tested the usage of multiple presets, but that is for us not very useful and practical. Partly because the lighting console does not send any midi data to the controller (yet).

Can someone help us with implementing such shift function or give us some advice to accomplish something similar?

Thank you in advance.

Royce
Royce's picture

Hi

Can I assume you know about the 4 group buttons on the right of the top row of encoders? They allow you to have up to 8 x 4 encoders and 8 x 4 switches (push down on the encoders).

As far as multiple functions on any other switch or encoder (or foot controller) with a shift key is concerned, there are none possible.

You can have a MIDI message when you turn an encoder clockwise and a different one for anti-clockwise rotation.

If you are mod-ing the lighting console firmware I like to use the switch in the encoder (sending out a CC message with value 0 or 1) to swap the 'meaning' of the CC messages coming out with the encoders rotation. This, of course, needs to be handled by the receiving device.

There might be other things you could do. Let me know exactly what you want to achieve.

All the best

Royce

dsuntjens
dsuntjens's picture

Thanks Royce.

Can I assume you know about the 4 group buttons on the right of the top row of encoders? They allow you to have up to 8 x 4 encoders and 8 x 4 switches (push down on the encoders).

Yes, we know about the 4 encoder groups.
We have tested with these, but the encoder buttons are not so "tap-friendly".

If you are mod-ing the lighting console firmware I like to use the switch in the encoder (sending out a CC message with value 0 or 1) to swap the 'meaning' of the CC messages coming out with the encoders rotation. This, of course, needs to be handled by the receiving device.

We use the official firmware which is made and updated by the manufacturer, so we can't make any changes ourselves.
But we can ask for new/updated features.

There might be other things you could do. Let me know exactly what you want to achieve.

An example:
A playback (main control by fader), has multiple associated function buttons. We like to have these buttons above the relevant fader on the BCF.