BCF2000

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arzina
Arzina's picture
BCF2000

Arzina

I have had it, spending severals evenings,weekends trying to understand manuals, BC manager, MMC commands -GS / GX parameter ,Sys Ex ???

I just don't understand and its driving me grazy !!! And everybody in forums or on Youtube presumed that we are all pro's , but offcourse there are a lot of newbies who are desperatly seeking for  information in normal langauge.( not only concerning BCF but musicscoring /studio / vst's in general.

Starting to hate BCF2000, is there anybody , ( speaking dutch ) that can explain in normal dummy language how i get this thing to work ?

Please Mark , do you have any idea wich person in Holland who am i can kontakt to ??

For the record, i just want to use the BCF2000 for CC-commands ( Modwheel - Dynamics - expression ) in Albion , Spectrasonics etc.etc. In Cubase ( Nuendo 7 )

How to configuring the beast called BCF2000 ?

Regard,

Arzina

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

If it's any comfort: making a BCF2000 communicate with a VST plugin within a DAW is one of the most difficult things there is, so even I usually struggle...

Why this is so difficult becomes apparent when you consider the long chain involved in such a set-up:

1. The BCF2000.
  2. The BCF's USB cable.
  3. A USB port in the computer.
  4. The operating system's USB/MIDI driver for the BCF2000.
  5. The DAW (Cubase, Sonar, Live, Reason etc.).
  6. The VST plug-in running in the DAW.

In fact, there are two directions to this chain: the path from the BCF2000 to the VST, and the path from the VST to the BCF2000.
One direction may be working while the other isn't.

Most importantly, the BCF2000 and the DAW need to be able to reach and understand each other.
However, things can go wrong at any point in either path, so proper analysis is vital; I always use MIDI Tools or BC Manager to monitor the flow of MIDI messages, preferably in both directions.

When a link in a path isn't working, several things can be wrong:

• A problem in the source device: the source device doesn't actually send any MIDI messages.
  • A connection ("wiring") problem: the source device does send MIDI messages, but these don't arrive at the target device. You should check the MIDI output device used by the source and the MIDI input device used by the target.
  • The target device does receive the messages, but doesn't interpret them correctly. For instance, the MIDI channel specified in the messages may be wrong.

Of course the path from the BCF to the plug-in must work to make the BCF2000 control the plug-in.
However, the path from the plug-in to the BCF may or may not be necessary:

• It is needed for DAWs (like Reason) that insist on configuring the BCF2000 themselves.
  • It's very nice (but not essential) if the BCF2000's buttons, encoders and faders update when you change a plug-in parameter via your mouse or computer keyboard, or when you make the plug-in switch to a different patch/preset.

The complexity of the setup means that it's very likely that things don't work immediately.
You should then avoid changing settings more or less randomly in the hope of making things work, because these changes are just as likely to make things worse.
What usually does help is splitting up a problem into sub-problems. In this case, it may help to get to know the BCF2000, the DAW and any plug-ins separately; and a working knowledge of MIDI of course. Then you'll be much better prepared when you try to connect these devices; in particular, you'll be less likely to make configuration changes that actually worsen the situation.
There is also a psychological side to this: if you start off by trying to get the full setup working, anything you do that doesn't lead to "full success" is a "failure", thus will frustrate you. By contrast, if you tackle sub-problems one by one, you will see each of your partial successes as a victory - a much more pleasant experience.

Concerning the BCF2000, you should first learn how to make its global settings on the BCF itself (please consult the official Behringer manual):

• Its "wiring" ("operating mode"): U-1/2/3/4 / S-1/2/3/4. (You'll probably want U-1.)
  • Its "personality" (to use BC Manager's term): standard "B-Control" mode or one of its 4 Mackie emulation modes. In standard "B-Control" mode, you can use the BCF's 32 presets; in any emulation mode, there is nothing more to configure the BCF.
  • Its Device ID: 1-16. Always leaving this at 1 should suffice.
  • Its Receive (MIDI) Channel: Off/1-16.

Once you know how to change all of these settings, you can try to make BC Manager connect with the BCF.
You should realize that BC Manager is only an editor for the BCF's 32 presets, so make sure the BCF2000 is in standard "B-Control" mode. (If the BCF is in a Mackie emulation mode, BC Manager is mostly useless: all it can do is monitor the MIDI messages flowing between the BCF and the DAW controlling the BCF.)
Please refer to the BC Manager manual for setting up the BCF's MIDI input/output devices.
Once BC Manager recognizes the BCF2000, you can try to set up some of the BCF's controls via BC Manager, so that moving these controls on the BCF sends MIDI messages to BC Manager.
Feel free to ask any specific questions related to BC Manager.

Once this is working, you can turn to your DAW.
Again following the philosophy of splitting up a problem, it may be best to first try to make the BCF communicate with the DAW itself, that is: its transport controls and main mixer channels (volume, panning, mute, solo etc.). Making the BCF talk with a plug-in running within the DAW adds another level of complexity.
In either case, it depends on your DAW which "personality" the BCF2000 has to be in:
Most (all?) DAWs know how to work with a Mackie control, so for this you'll need to put the BCF in the appropriate Mackie emulation mode.
Some DAWs can work with the BCF "as a BCF", that is: when the BCF is in standard "B-Control" mode: by definition this requires that a specific preset (expected by the DAW) is currently active on the BCF. Some of these DAWs (like Reason) upload their own preset to the BCF automatically, others require you to press a button to upload it. Or you may have to manually activate one of the standard presets that came with the BCF (e.g. "all controls"); if this preset is no longer present in the BCF, you can upload it via BC Manager.
So it's seldom necessary to use BC Manager to create your own BCF preset for a DAW. Creating your own BCF presets with BC Manager is mainly done for external MIDI hardware like synthesizers.

By the way, I don't know about any Dutch MIDI/DAW groups that could help you, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Hope this helps,
   Mark.