BC Manager And BCR2000 Sysex Information request

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
anonyme-x22
anonyme-x22's picture
BC Manager And BCR2000 Sysex Information request

Hi,

I'm trying to program a preset for controlling the TG77.

Sometimes, there are something like that in the sysex manual:

...18 Bit 0 = x on /off

...18 Bit 1-2 = y on /off

...18 Bit 4-6 = z 0-7

How can i implement these control ?

Thanks in advance,

Rgds,

Mark van den Berg
Mark van den Berg's picture

I can't see a way to implement this on a BCR in an 'acceptable' way.
The BCR can send portions of the value of a particular encoder/button (as described in section 14.6.1 of "BC MIDI Implementation.pdf"), but it can't do the reverse. That is: the BCR can't combine the values of different encoders/buttons into one value and then output this in a single SysEx message.
So all that you can do is have a single knob covering the whole range of bits 0-6, but of course this can lead to unacceptable effects on the receiving device (e.g. because bit 0 flips continually from 0 to 1 as the encoder traverses its range).

I think the only way to do what you really want, is set up multiple encoders/buttons for the different portions of the byte, each encoder/button outputting (for instance) simple Control Change messages (each using a different Controller number), then have a computer program translate these CC messages into the required SysEx message and pass this on to your TG77. Tricky...

But maybe I'm missing something - maybe Royce knows a clever way of doing this on the BCR itself...?

Mark.

Royce
Royce's picture

Hi,

Packed data isn't very common except in older synths and even then it is usually seen in the bulk data dumps not in the parameter sysex.

The TG77, and the SY77 which I have, are particularly complicated but don't have a lot of packed data.

Sometimes you can get away with it if the packed data is in the correct place eg bit 0-6 for one value and bit 7 for a switch value.

In this example you can set a switch on one of the top encoders to put out a CC value that will reset the value of the encoder.

That is, although the encoder has a minmax of 0 to 127 you swap between the high values (ie switch on) and the lower half of the range (switch off) .

This example uses easypar to link to the button (which also uses easypar command) to the encoder value.

$rev R1
$preset   ; Preset data
  .name 'Royce Test'
  .snapshot off
  .request off
  .fkeys on
  .lock off
  .init
$button 1  ;
  .easypar CC  01 07 0 64 toggleon
  .default 0
$encoder 1  ;
  .easypar CC  01 07 0 127 absolute
  .showvalue on
  .tx $F0 $43 $10 $07 val $F7   ;made up TG sysex
$end

Although this also outputs the CC 07 messages as well as the sysex you simply choose a CC message and channel that the TG would ignore.

Perhaps if you gave a specific parameter that you want to change we could help you a bit more.

I found that the only way to successfully do more complicated packed data is by having the BCR put out CC values and a computer program to hold all the others values so they could be added to the byte and the sysex output to the synth.

See my web page about the DW6000 that also has packed data for some of its parameters.

http://www.bwalk.com.au/DW6K/DW6k.html

All the best

Royce

anonyme-x22
anonyme-x22's picture

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I used buttons with differents increments. 

Can i send you a bc file in order to see if you see better implementation ?

Rgds,

anonyme-x22
anonyme-x22's picture

Hi,

Also another question about it:

the TG77 have some parameters which have -7 +7 value rendered in sysex like that:

-7 0 = 0F 08

1 7 = 01 07 

Settings value of the knob from 0f to 00 give -7 -> 0 -> 7 -> 1

Is there a way to get a continuous result -7 -> 0 -> 1 -> 7 ?

Thanks in advance,

Rgds, 

Mark van den Berg

If I understand the TG77's behavior correctly, I think there are two problems here:
1. The negative parameter values are represented by higher bytes than the positive parameter values.
2. The negative parameter value range counts backwards.

Maybe you can "solve" the first problem by setting the easypar/minmax minimum to $08 and the maximum to $17: if you're lucky, the TG77 treats $00 as 0 and ignores bit 4 (so that $10 is treated as $00, $11 as $01 etc.). This would then at least create a "continuous" range in the sense that the negative values come before the positive ones (although the display would of course be confusing, going from "8" to "23").

However, I think there's no chance at all of solving the second problem, apart from having a translating computer program between the B-Control and the TG77.

Mark.

anonyme-x22
anonyme-x22's picture

Hi,

I've uploaded the files in the devices section.

Rgds,

anonyme-x22 not... (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Hi,

Unfortunately, that don't work.

After $15 (-7) nothing happen.

Rgds,

Mark van den Berg

Pity...
But (as I said) it would only have been a partial solution anyway.